Police probe elements of negligence in kids’ scald burn cases

A four-year-old girl fell into a pot of beef soup that was being prepared for a family feast and a five-year-old boy got burnt when a kettle filled with hot water fell on him in two recent cases sparking calls from Fijian authorities to parents and guardians to be mindful of their children’s safety at all times.

Fiji Police said the first case happened in Lovonivonu village in Taveuni, Vanua Levu, on Fiji’s second largest island, while the second incident happened in Lautoka two days ago.

The four-year-girl sustained 60 percent burns and is currently being admitted to the Labasa Hospital. The boy is being admitted to the Lautoka Hospital.

“We urge parents and guardians to be aware of potential safety hazards around their homes and ensure children are monitored at all times to avoid similar unfortunate incidents,” Fiji Police said in a statement.

Furthermore, Fijian authorities said they would also be investigating elements of negligence in both cases as with all cases involving children.

Foodie Night 1327x198 ad(1)
Top Stories